COVID-19 Update: Appointments now available under Idaho’s revised guidelines. Click Here to Learn More.
Member Of:
Google Reviews
Yelp Reviews
Avvo Client's Choice Award 2019
Justia Lawyer Rating
Martindale-Hubbell 2019

Living Trusts & Property Taxes

By Barry Peters | May 31, 2019

Will putting your home into the name of your Living Trust or Family Trust cause your property taxes to rise? Not at all.

While having your home transferred into the name of the Trust, your attorney will do a couple things.

First, your attorney will prepare and file an Affidavit with the County Assessor. This simply confirms that you are continuing to live in the house.

Second, if your home is in Ada County, your attorney will submit a new application for the exemption.

Both of these steps are relatively simple. A complete Living Trust or Family Trust package will include these steps.

Once they’ve been done, the county will continue to tax the property as before. You’ll continue to enjoy your Homeowners Exemption. And, if you qualify for the Circuit Breaker benefit, that will also continue to apply.

Client Reviews
Cadillac service for a great price! No complaints, only compliments. We appreciate your "personal touch" and easygoing style. Paul Jansen
I was completely satisfied with the entire process. In a few short weeks I had a completed trust tailored to my specific needs. It was so easy! The timeline and costs were stated up front, and every aspect was handled with the utmost professionalism, what more could one ask for? The website is extremely helpful. 5 stars to Barry Peters! Melissa S.
Thank you very much for your help with the closing of Mom’s house, it is now scheduled to close Monday. You were the only person that said we can beat all of this. Other attorneys told us to walk away. We put our faith in you Mr. Peters and came out on top. Thank you again. Michael E.